Zombie Fans Unite!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90?

3 posters

Go down

Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90? Empty Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90?

Post  H.B.I.C. Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:57 am

Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90?

Which one do you prefer and why? Or if there were certain aspects of each that you liked, please explain. I'm curious!
H.B.I.C.
H.B.I.C.
Admin

https://zombiefans.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90? Empty Re: Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90?

Post  RoseRed Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Night Of The Living Dead '68 to me was creepier. The Savini remake was ok, but I didn't like how they changed Barbara's personality. It was very annoying to me. Of course the special FX were much gorier, but the old black and white film worked better for me. It did a better job of building suspense and a feeling of helplessness.

RoseRed

Back to top Go down

Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90? Empty Re: Night of the Living Dead '68 or Night of the Living Dead '90?

Post  darkriddle1 Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:49 am

I really liked the Savini remake: to me, it's one of the most underrated of the zombie genera. The remake was not entirely a true remake and never was meant to be an exact replica of the old NOTLD.

The aim was to reintroduce the old theme of NOTLD and rework some of the more central figures. In focus, and most notable, was the huge reworking on Barbara.

In the first film, the lead figure was a black man, which at the time, was somewhat controversial. By 1990, the invention of Barbara as a heroin was the intended effort - a choice to present her as a once frightened woman, into a hardcore survivalist.

I think they did this quite well considering there was only a short amount of time to witness this transformation. Also, I like the fact, that she offsets the predictability of having "the one bad character VS the one good character" scenario, as she adds more diversity to the overall roles.

Trivia:
In the 1990 remake, it's often thought that the first person Barbara and her brother encounter (the old man in shock ) was a zombie. On closer examination; you'll see what's inferred.

That he was the hearse driver, probably from the very same hearse where the first zombie (man in autopsy stitches) came from. This is why the old man kept saying "I'm sorry -I'm so sorry." -- An inferred plot reference that he saw his cargo come back to life and probably thought it was his fault.

darkriddle1

Back to top Go down

Post  H.B.I.C. Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

Interesting! I figured he was the hearse driver, or somebody somehow involved with the cemetery. I didn't really care for Barbara's transformation overnight. I understand what Savini was trying to do with it, but it is my opinion that you either already have it in you, or you don't. Maybe if it had been a little more subtle it would've worked for me. But then again, if zombies really did happen I guess you don't have the luxury of adjusting to it slowly, LOL!
H.B.I.C.
H.B.I.C.
Admin

https://zombiefans.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down