Zombie Fans Unite!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions?

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions?

Post  H.B.I.C. Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 am

I have read some of the comics, not all. There's a lot of the comic's basic premise, but it seems the characterizations are a bit off for some, and there are characters completely missing altogether in the TV show. No matter, aside from a few things here and there they are sort of sticking to the main gist of the story.

I was surprised that Shane is still alive in season 2, considering he's killed off pretty early in the comic by Rick's son, Carl. I'm actually glad he's still around. I like what they've done with his character and think it adds more tension to the plot.

My biggest complaint is that there doesn't seem to be enough zombies.

Anyway, if the TV show is kinda sorta following the comic's plot (somewhat), then something big is about to happen fairly soon. I hope they get to it in this second half of this season. They should, as my guess is they are pretty much done with the farm ever since the discovery of what happened to Sophia.

What do you think?
H.B.I.C.
H.B.I.C.
Admin

https://zombiefans.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty Re: Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions?

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:09 am

I read about half the comics, they are excellent. I stopped watching the show because I found it didnt translate well and comes across really maudlin and depressing. Although, if they are deviating from the original plotlines I may have to check it out because it'll be like a new story in a sense.

BTW the production values of the show are excellent, probably the best looking zombies ever, although the syfy movie Zombie Apocalypse has pretty good zeds, too.

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty Re: Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions?

Post  H.B.I.C. Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 pm

I agree, the special effects makeup is excellent for it only being a TV show. I never thought I'd see the day come where they'd allow this sort of thing on regular television!

I also agree that in some parts the story drags and it is a bit maudling, but when they get to an action sequence they really do it right! As I mentioned before, there's just not enough zombies. It seems to me that the way they portray the amount of zombies, except the horde scene in Atlanta and on the highway, there should be a lot more survivors and also that the gov't could've got things under control. I understand that they are out in the countryside now where the population density is less, but still, unless every small town has only a population of a couple hundred, there should be a much larger zombie presence. (In my opinion.)
H.B.I.C.
H.B.I.C.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty I read em

Post  herbsandivy Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:59 pm

I read them. I am up to date currently. Love them. Yeah-- there isn't a zombie slaughter in every issue. The reason for this is that the book seems to be more focused on the humans and how they are coping. The stuff that goes on in this book could happen in ANY type of apocalypse. People, stripped of all our luxuries and basic needs, are animals. Some choose to give in to the animal behavior while others rise above it. That's just what I take out of them anyhow.

The show has been a little slow. I think losing Frank really messed up the Second Season. They could have done the entire first half in a couple of episodes, maybe 3 at most. Sophia being dead messed with me. I was expecting it by the 3rd episode. I knew she was in that barn. It makes me think that perhaps the Morales' from the first season will return. I mean... in the book Carl has Sophia with him all the time. They're buddies. Now he has no other kid to be friends with. It would really be awesome if they ran into the Morales' and they had those twin boys with them, too. I NEED to see Carl.... well... those who have read knows what he did to that one twin. I NEED TO SEE IT. They took away his killing of Shane. The twins are not in the show so far.... Carl becomes who he is because of what he has to do. I think if they don't allow him to do it then his character will not develop properly.

Ugh.. rant. Sorry. You guys get what I am saying, though? Carl in the book is badass. Carl is the show..... he is just a kid who is realizing the world is different and things die.
herbsandivy
herbsandivy

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty The Prison

Post  herbsandivy Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 pm

And yes, I believe they will be leaving the farm soon and will find the Prison in the last episode.

Wonder who will play The Governor and Michonne. They HAVE to have Michonne.
herbsandivy
herbsandivy

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty Love them both

Post  Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:24 pm

I've read the graphic novels and enjoy the show. I think Shane's going to show his true colors to everyone soon. Can't wait for it to come back on next month.

Back to top Go down

Post  H.B.I.C. Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:12 am

When I first used to be be REALLY active on different forums, one person actually compared me to Michonne. I guess they figured that I could handle myself in a zombie apocalypse type situation. I'm not sure if they will have her make an appearance in the TV show, although I agree, the prison is definitely coming up in this next installment, even though I'm sure they'll leave it for the final episode for this season. That's my guess anyway. I don't think they're going to bring in the twins at all. They've already deviated so much from the comics in regard to certain characters. But I guess we'll see.
H.B.I.C.
H.B.I.C.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  A.Rosaria Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:34 pm

I wonder if they will dare to film the prison end like it happened in the comic. Also not so sure they would dare to do the twin thing with Carl, it might be too much for the mainstream people.

At first I hated that they didn't kill Shane the first few episodes, now I'm glad they kept him. In my opinion he is the one with the most grit and survival potential. Asshole as he may be, he does what needs to be done while the others are discussing what needs to be done while at the same wallowing in their misery.

The character I like most is Glen. He is a young man with much hidden potential and also a survivor you would love to have in your team during an Zombie infestation. If they kill him off I might not watch the show anymore... oh well maybe after a few months of mourning I'll watch again. The show without Glen would not be the same. Same for the comic, there needs to be a Glen.

A.Rosaria

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read The Walking Dead comics, and what are your opinions? Empty A fan of both.

Post  Zee Charles Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm an avid fan of both the tv show and the graphic novel. Personally I think the TV show does well to highlight the idea that it's not just the zombies that the group have to survive but other survivors, and even each other, as well. I think it's intentional that the show and the comics don't match up, otherwise fans will just be re-watching what they've already read. I like the fact that it's different because I get to enjoy both as if they were new. It's the same for the Telltale game version of WD in that the different characters and slight cross over give the game a little more depth and scope for the fans.

But hey that’s just my opinion. I think the great thing about the Walking Dead is that it’s become more of a franchise. Sure it means that some people might not like one version of it, but at least they’re keeping it fresh rather than repeating the same stuff over a different media. Gives it longevity.

Zee Charles

Back to top Go down

Post  H.B.I.C. Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

WOW! It's been a long time since we've had activity in this forum. I don't know what happened, but it suddenly sort of died down.

Thanks Zee, for your thoughts. I happen to agree with what you said and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this third season plays out!
H.B.I.C.
H.B.I.C.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zee Charles Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 pm

Third season looks like it's going to be epic! Can't wait. If you haven't given the Telltale game a go yet you should. Really good story going on.

Zee Charles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down